An international steel manufacturer experienced regular failures with bearings in a continuous casting machine. The machine is used in the production of shaped sections and due to that, the bearings have to handle heavy loads and very low rpm. Wear and fatigue were resulting in short bearing life. The average bearing life was 124 weeks with 3 failures to date. After an investigation of the application, NSK suggested a durability test with NSK’s SWR Spherical Roller Bearings. SWR bearings are made of specially developed bearing steel, which has a much better wear resistance and resistance against fatigue than ordinary bearings.
- Steel & Metals
- Continuous Casting Machine
- Wear and fatigue caused short bearing life
- Heavy operation conditions
- Longer bearing lifetime & reduced maintenance costs requested
- Spherical Roller Bearings with SWR Steel
- Bearing achieved 60% longer life
- NSK engineers conducted an Application Review including a Bearing Condition Report
- This resulted in SWR Spherical Roller Bearing recommendation.
- Recommended test with SWR Spherical Roller Bearing
- Bearing reached 60% longer life
Get Your Free
Learn how to minimize or totally eliminate common bearing failure modes in steel processing. Discover cost reduction strategies, and keep your line in motion.
Cost Saving Breakdown
|Before||Cost p.a.||NSK Solution||Cost p.a.|
|Loss of production due to bearing failures||$107,204||No production loss||$0|
|Manpower Costs||$42,882||No manpower costs||$0|
|SWR Roller Bearing and Housing||SWR Spherical Roller Bearings|